Sunday, October 18, 2009

The other woman

There were other women before me. First there was her first mommy. The woman whose voice she recognized when she was born. The woman whose voice was silenced when she was left on a corner in Xuchang city. Her first loss. Then there is the woman that she seems to want when she wakes up from a nap. Today for example. I knew when I walked into her room after she woke from a nap that it was going to be a boo hoo wake up time. There must have been a woman she really liked who came and got her after nap. This was her second loss. I wish I could talk to that woman who got her up after an afternoon nap.

So, today I talked to Amanda while she was crying. I know she didn't understand me but it went something like this:
"It isn't right you didn't get to grow up in China with your first mommy and daddy. It isn't right that you have to grow up in a country where most people don't look like you and you don't understand what anyone is saying. It isn't right that you had to leave everything you've ever known so that you could become part of a family..." We live in a broken world and this is some of the pain that is experienced by millions of children. Thank God that this world is not our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment